Every day in Austin, we’re working to ensure each child has access to high-quality education, every family has the tools they need to be financially stable, and health and human services are readily available for all.
06.10.2016 | SUCCESS BY 6
Colin’s Hope is an organization that educates families and children about water safety in efforts to prevent children from drowning. This work is especially important during summer, when pools and water parks are filled with kids.
United Way for Greater Austin partnered with Colin’s Hope to distribute water safety cards to more than 3,200 families. Laura Olson of UWATX’s Success By 6 program also connected Colin’s Hope with early childhood organizations that primarily serve families with children under the age of 5 to expand the reach of the messaging.
In addition to distributing water safety cards, United Way for Greater Austin provided support by:
- Identifying partners that could distribute the Colin’s Hope Water Safety Quiz to families with young children
- Connecting Colin’s Hope to partners that would assist in sharing water safety awareness information, including Child’s Inc., KLRU, the Literacy Coalition and the AISD Early Childhood program
- Offered to recruit volunteers to aid in distribution of water safety cards via Hands On Central Texas
- Will assist in any future Spanish translations of Colin’s Hope material
- Developing a next level of outreach and education for summer camp providers/staff in low-income communities
- Will create a 2017 outreach plan with Colin’s Hope to educate even more families next year