United Way for Greater Austin’s Young Leaders Society (YLS) is a diverse group of young professionals under 40 who give $250 or more annually. YLS members are committed to helping low-income students in the critical middle school years by volunteering their time, raising money and spreading the word about UWATX’s dropout prevention program.
- Give $250 or more annually through either a one-time gift, easy payroll deduction, a corporate sponsorship. Members that give at the $500 level are Gold Members and those who give at the $1,000 level are Platinum Members.
- Under the age of 40 and living in Central Texas
- An introduction to YLS with an Executive Committee member.
- A great way to meet other philanthropic, community-minded young professionals in Austin.
- Opportunities to network at a variety of events. Recent YLS events include a Super Bowl watch party, quarterly “Hour of Happy” events, the State of YLS and University of Texas tailgates.
- Opportunity to develop professional and leadership skills by serving on the YLS Executive Committee, volunteering or fundraising.
- Make a real difference in the lives of at-risk middle school students in Greater Austin.
- Partner with a quality organization and dedicated staff; ensuring that gifts, voice and time are efficiently invested locally to maximize impact.
Additional Benefits for Gold and Platinum Members:
- Gold Members will receive a complimentary ticket to The Super Bowl watch party, a drink ticket to each YLS Hour of Happy, a raffle ticket for State of YLS prize giveaways and recognition as a Gold Member.
- Platinum Members will receive two complimentary tickets to The Super Bowl watch party, two drink tickets to each YLS Hour of Happy, two raffle tickets for State of YLS prize giveaways, a YLS t-shirt, a professional headshot and recognition as a Platinum YLS Member.
Interested in becoming a member of the Young Leaders Society, or want to learn more? Fill out the More Information form on this page or contact email@example.com.
You don’t have to take our word for it–see what these YLS members had to say about their experiences:
YLS Executive Member
“The United Way is a great way to make a difference in your community while being around some fun, and loving people. Although many think that United Way is this big enitity, and it’s hard to get know everyone involved, the United Way of Greater Austin is definitely a family that works together to make a difference in Austin, and in the surrounding areas.
YLS has definitely helped me meet new young professionals, and also has given me the opportunity to interact with seasoned professionals who care about volunteering their own time and donating through their networks and companies. The dropout prevention work is important because many of the kids involved the program are in the same position my parents were in when they were growing up. Although I was fortunate to have parents who attended college, assisted me in getting through high school and finding the best college, everyone doesn’t have the same access.”
YLS Executive Member
“I first learned about YLS through attending another UWATX event in Austin. While I was in high school and college, I worked at a day camp for elementary through middle school kids and so after learning more about YLS, it seemed like the perfect fit for me.
Everyone I’ve met through YLS has been really excited to support the mission and the middle schoolers, but on top of that they are all friendly, welcoming and energetic people. Whether it’s an event with the kids or an event with other young professionals, I have had a great time at everything that I’ve done with YLS.”
YLS Member and UWATX Development Officer
“Once I heard about the mission of YLS and how much of a direct impact they have on the middle school population, I was sold. I feel that being a member of YLS has allowed me to work with the best of humanity. As an employee of United Way, being a YLS member reminds me why I do the work that I do and why it is so important to give back. My favorite aspect of being a member is meeting the people who will eventually change the world.”
YLS Manager and UWATX Development Officer
“Middle school is a critical and fragile time, but having the opportunity to be a YLS member allows me the opportunity to play an essential role in these students’ lives. As a YLS Member and Campus Captain for Mendez Middle School, my volunteerism and interaction with the students makes me feel more connected to United Way’s work and I feel fortunate to see firsthand the impact we’re making. I love being a Young Leader!”
View the full list of current YLS members. Meet the YLS Executive Committee on Flickr.
Learn More About Middle School Matters
YLS is committed to creating change in the community by supporting students at three local underserved middle schools–Decker, Webb and Mendez–as part of UWATX’s Middle School Matters program. Learn more about Middle School Matters, read the latest blogs about the program, see what your impact could be if you choose to support this program or view more photos of our work.