A Diverse Coalition Committed to Improving Opportunities for Children
Founded in 2021, the Greater Austin Reading Coalition is a diverse coalition of nonprofit and community leaders, librarians, teachers, and parents working toward a shared vision of supporting children, grades K – 3, to ensure they are reading on or above grade level by the fourth grade — a pivotal point in a child’s reading development.
By the end of third grade, children transition from “learning to read” to “reading to learn.” If a student is not reading at grade level, they can fall behind, and are four times less likely to graduate high school than their peers. The increased earning potential of an individual who attains a high school diploma or goes on to attain a college degree is substantially greater than those who do not have the opportunity to do so.
The coalition is convened by United Way for Greater Austin as part of the organization’s collective impact work to fight poverty.
Goals & Framework
The long-term goal of the Greater Austin Reading Coalition is to ensure that all children are reading on or above grade level by the fourth grade.
To achieve this, our coalition has four strategic goals that will not only build a community culture of reading within Greater Austin, but also address the barriers that many children and families face in accessing culturally relevant reading materials and building grade-level reading proficiency.
These organizations and individuals share a mutual commitment to improving opportunities for local children by increasing grade-level reading rates in the Greater Austin community:
- 100 Black Men of Austin
- African American Youth Harvest Foundation
- AKA Association For Community Development, Inc.
- Austin Black Chamber of Commerce
- Alison Dwyer
- Austin Early Childhood Council
- Austin Bat Cave
- Austin ISD
- Austin ISD Families as Partners Program
- Austin Library Foundation
- Austin Parks & Recreation
- Austin PBS
- Austin Public Health
- Austin Public Library
- Andy Roddick Foundation
- Austin Voices for Education and Youth
- Bastrop ISD
- Bavu & Ellison Blakes
- Black Pearl Books
- Boys & Girls Club of the Austin Area
- BRAVE Communities
- Capital Area Alliance of Black School Educators
- Cherrylynn Burris
- Christ Together Greater Austin
- Communities in Schools of Central Texas
- E3 Alliance
- Education Austin
- Families As Partners-AISD
- Frischo, Ltd.
- Friends of the Pflugerville Library
- Go Austin/Vamos Austin!
- Half Helen
- Literacy Coalition of Central Texas
- Literacy First
- Pflugerville Education Foundation
- Pflugerville ISD
- Pflugerville Public Library
- Sammy’s House
- Texas Book Festival
- Texas Empowerment Academy
- Travis County Health and Human Services
- United Way for Greater Austin
- Webber Family Foundation
- Welcome Table
- YMCA of Austin
You can help make a difference!
We all have the power to move the needle on grade-level reading rates in our community. All you have to do is care, engage, and act.
Together, we can help ensure that every child in Greater Austin has the opportunity to tap into their full potential.
Sign up to receive stories about our impact, news about what's happening in our community, and information about how you can make a real difference.