It’s an exciting time at United Way for Greater Austin! 2024 marks an important milestone for us: 100 years serving the community.
In the course of 100 years, things are bound to change, but no matter what happens – global pandemics, natural disasters, inequity across different groups – you can always count on community. Whether it’s the one you grew up in or you just got here yesterday. United Way is the community that will always be here – for those who need help, for those who find their place by helping others, for all of us.
United Way for Greater Austin was here before the Great Depression. Before the Second World War. We grew roots long before the first man landed on the moon and well before Austin’s largest population boom in the 90s. Alongside community partners and leaders, we’ve grown to become a steady and powerful force for driving change, through large and small moments. And throughout our evolutions over the last century, the enduring thread that weaves us together, then and now, is community.
It’s a community that’s been lovingly built and rebuilt by the hands of Greater Austin. It’s been a respite, a village, a friend, and a catalyst for creating equal opportunity. One where every child is set up for success with high-quality early care and education. A community where everyone is connected to essential resources they need, when they need them.
This community has laid an unbreakable foundation of wisdom, strength, and potential. And looking back, we can see the moments that are shaping our collective future:
- 1952: When we pledged to keep all funds raised local, we made a meaningful commitment to Greater Austin that still powers everything we do.
- 1996: When we connected our community with 2-1-1, we started the blueprint for a free, 24/7, multilingual resource hub that will only become more critical.
- 2012: When we published the first local strategic plan for early childhood – called the School Readiness Action Plan – we invested in the next generation of our community and our workforce.
- 2020: When we co-created All Together ATX, providing $7.7M in grant funding to support 210 local community partners, and expanded 2-1-1 capacity and child care solutions during COVID-19, we raised the bar for increased emergency response.
- 2021: And when we provided resources as Winter Storm Uri threatened access to basic needs, we harnessed the power of our community like never before.
Every action we take goes toward building opportunity and driving change in our community. And now, in a time where community is more important than ever, we invite you to be a part of ours.
Celebrate with us a century of change and join our legacy of impact.
Give. Every dollar counts.
Advocate. Your voice matters.
Volunteer. Connect with your community.