Happy Memorial Day! Whether you are taking a mini-vacation or just excited to lounge around the house for an extra day, we’ve compiled a wide array of Memorial Day events taking place around Austin for you to check out.
1. Head north to Round Rock to spend Memorial Day the American way–watching baseball of course! The AAA Round Rock Express will face the El Paso Chihuahuas at 7 p.m. on Monday. The highest price you’ll pay for a GA ticket is $15, and you can even grab lawn seats for only $7 each.
2. Give back while enjoying jazz music at the Austin Jazz Festival on May 24th at Austin 360 Amphitheater at the Circuit of the Americas. This is an all day event beginning at 10 a.m. Local, regional and national acts will play and the event benefits the East Austin Music Academy, an afterschool program focused on intensive music instruction for school-age children.
3. “Carry the Load” on May 24th at the Austin Memorial March. This is a 20.15 mile walk at Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnet, TX, and provides an opportunity to share in remembrance of those who gave their lives in service to our country. Registration is free.
4. Spend the day at Lake Travis. Bring a picnic or rent a house with family and friends and enjoy one of Austin’s most beautiful areas. Remember, personal motorized watercrafts are banned this weekend.
5. There are many great concerts taking place this weekend. On Satuday, catch Purity Ring at Stubb’s or a Ludacris and Girl Talk joint show in New Braunfels. You can find all of the shows happening over the weekend on Do512.
6. Spend Memorial Day at Duchman Winery. They are hosting an afternoon celebration from noon to 5 p.m., complete with a choice of BBQ baskets and wine tastings. There will also be live music and lawn games. Learn more on their Eventbrite page.
7. Looking for something absolutely free? Take an Austin scavenger hunt! Compile a list of things to see, such as murals (hint: you can start at our Butter Half mural!), famous statues, food trucks or parks, and break up into teams with you family or friends.
Of course, this is merely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to fun things to do around Austin. What are your Memorial Day plans? Tell us on Twitter @uwatx!