Help save State employees’ ability to give through their workplace to the charity of their choice!
As you may know, the 83rd Legislature ends next week. Among the important matters being discussed is the State Employee Charitable Campaign. We are asking you to contact the Governor’s office and Legislators listed below to advocate for the passage of Senate Bill 217 that keeps the State Employee Charitable Campaign alive.
Why we are asking you to take action?
Senate Bill 217 recommends the continuation of the annual State Employee Charitable Campaign, which allows for all State employees to support their local communities by donating to charities of their choice. Last year, State of Texas employees gave more than $9,000,000 to charities through this campaign. The State Employee Charitable Campaign is the only payroll deduction campaign for State and higher education employees.
The SECC bills must be passed by both Houses (the House has passed its bill, the Senate has not). If the Senate bill does not pass, or is vetoed by the Governor, the SECC would cease to exist as of September 1 and employees throughout the State would not be able to support their communities through their workplace.
We need your help to save more than $9,000,000 raised by State employees for charities through the State Employee Charitable Campaign.
Here’s how you can help:
- Contact Governor Perry and the Legislators listed below to let them know of your support for Senate Bill 217 and the importance of continuing the State Employee Charitable Campaign.
- When calling, tell the Governor or Legislator:
I am contacting Governor Perry/ the Senator/ the Representative to let them know that I am for Senate Bill 217 and I hope that they will support it and the continuation of the State Employee Charitable Campaign.
- When emailing, please share the following points (Email subject line should read: “Save State of Texas employee philanthropy”):
- I am contacting Governor Perry/ the Senator/ the Representative to let them know that I am for Senate Bill 217 and I hope that they will support it and the continuation of the State Employee Charitable Campaign
- Last year, 47,670 State of Texas employees chose to participate in the campaign
- More than $9,000,000 was raised last year for nonprofits serving Texans, as well as national and international organizations
- It is important to know that monies raised through SECC are private dollars from private individuals going to private charities
- The State Employee Charitable Campaign is efficient and has never exceeded 10% in administrative costs to raise much-needed funds for our state
- Appointees of the Governor, Lt. Governor, and Comptroller decide which charities participate in the campaign
- Thank you for passing along my comments to the Governor/ Senator/ Representative
- Contact Information:
- Governor Perry’s office – 512-463-2000 or email Governor Perry at http://governor.state.tx.us/contact/assistance.aspx (select “Other” on the Issue tab)
- Senator Dan Patrick (R- Houston) – 512-463-0107 or email@example.com
- Senator Joan Huffman (R-Houston) – 512-463-0117 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Brian Birdwell (R-Granbury) – 512-463-0122 or email@example.com
- Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston) – 512-463-0115 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Sylvia Garcia (D-Houston) – 512-463-0106 or email@example.com
- Representative Rafael Anchia (D-Dallas) – 512-463-0746 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Representative Dennis Bonnen (R-Brazoria/ Matagorda Co.) – 512-463-0564 or email@example.com
- Representative Rob Orr (R-Cleburne) – 512-463-0538 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Representative Ron Simmons (R-Denton) – 512-463-0478 or email@example.com
- Representative Mark Strama (D-Travis) – 512-463-0821 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you in advance for taking action to support philanthropy in the Greater Austin area and across the State.
Photo courtesy of chicanerii via Flickr Creative Commons.