United Way Capital Area was honored at yesterday’s Breakfast of Champions event with the Partner of the Year award for our work to improve out of school time programs in our community. The event was hosted by Central Texas Afterschool Network (CTAN) and recognized community organizations, school officials, volunteers and government entities. See the full list, including UWCA Youth Leadership Council member Raphael Travis and numerous UWCA partners.
“Out of School Time programs are paramount in moving our children forward,” said Debbie Bresette, President, United Way Capital Area. “UWCA is proud to receive this award and to be a part of making a difference in the lives of children in our community.”
This year, CTAN embarked on a mapping study to identify gaps in Out of School time services in 17 high-need zip codes in Travis County. UWCA helped design the study and survey questions.
UWCA also worked with CTAN to add three new categories to this year’s awards: Program Quality Staff, Program Quality Site and Program Quality Organization.
“This sends an important message that we need to maintain high standards for out of school time programs,” said Laura LaFuente, Director of Community Building for UWCA’s Youth Initiative. “These categories highlight the importance of quality out of school programs and will hopefully inspire others to reach these same standards.”
Congratulations to all the honorees at CTAN’s Breakfast of Champions:
- Elementary After School Staff: Kenyon Pettaway, Extend-a-Care
- Middle School After School Staff: Ruby Preston, Boys and Girls Club of the Austin Area (UWCA Funded Partner)
- High School After School Staff: Tim Eubanks, Austin Voices
- After School Youth: Sara Pena, Manor ISD (UWCA Partner in Middle School Matters program)
- Volunteer: Ruth Lin, The BeHive
- District Employee: Jean MacInnis, Del Valle ISD
- Donor: Gregg Burt
- Policy Maker: Sherri Fleming, Health & Human Service & Veterans Service
- At Large: Dr. Raphael Travis, Texas State University School of Social Work (also serves on UWCA’s Youth Leadership Council)
- Media: YNN
- Partner: United Way Capital Area
- Youth Program Quality Staff: Lydia Domaruk, Capital 4-H
- Youth Program Quality Site: Norman Elementary, AISD
- Youth Program Quality Organization: Theatre Action Project
- Legacy Leadership Award: Suzanne Hershey